The 100 Ladies of Deering, together with The Deering Estate Foundation, are proud to present two rare, centuries-old stained-glass panels known as “Flight into Egypt”, opening to the public on Saturday, October 19th. This new exhibit features part of Charles Deering’s collection recorded in the 1924 inventory of gifts to his daughters. These two pieces of pre-17th century works of art were originally displayed in the entrance hall in the Stone House and depict variations of traditional flight into Egypt motif, the holy family’s journey to escape the violence in their homeland from King Herod.
After years of planning, restoration recently began thanks to the receipt of anonymous major gifts from private donors and the 100 Ladies of Deering, a philanthropic circle of the Deering Estate Foundation. By restoring these treasures and presenting them for public display, we will be able to give rare access to art of this time period, exhibited fully restored, in the same building they originally hung almost 100 years ago.